In the previous posts, we’ve introduced you to detailed tutorials about How to configure URL rewrites and How to import URL rewrites in Magento 2. Today, let’s walk with us to go deep into each type of URL Rewrites on a Magento website: Magento 2 product URL rewrite, category URL rewrites, CMS page URL rewrites/ custom page URL rewrites.
The article will first show Magento merchants how to create product URL rewrites in Magento 2 by some simple configurations in the backend.
SPEED UP YOUR WORK with Magento 2 Import Export Extensions that never make you disappointed!
Why your site needs Magento 2 Product URL Rewrite
When creating a Product URL Rewrite, you can modify the product URL (link) to improve SEO quality and make your site more user-friendly. However, you should pay attention to 2 terms: Target Path and Request Path during the rewriting process.
Note: Magento 2 removed the capability of automated URL rewrites regeneration for performance reasons. Thus, merchants have to create Magento 2 product URL rewrite themselves by following some easy steps.
Let’s move the most critical part of our article today – how to create Magento 2 product URL rewrite!
Steps to create Magento 2 Product URL Rewrites
Create Magento 2 URL Rewrites
1. Go to Marketing ⇒ SEO & Search ⇒ URL Rewrites, and you can see a grid table of default URL Rewrites.
- Target Path column includes current paths of products generated by the default system and often assigned with product ID. They are not SEO-friendly and need rewriting.
- Request Path column includes new rewritten paths of products. Request paths are replaced for Target paths after creating URL Rewrites.
- You click Add URL Rewrite button.
- In Create URL Rewrite, you choose Product from the dropdown list.
There is a grid table displaying all products with names and SKUs for you to select which ones to create Magento 2 product URL Rewrites.
- You click a product and click Skip Category Selection button under the category tree to go to URL Rewrite Information.
In Store: you choose a Magento level that URL Rewrite is applied. If you have multiple store views, let’s select Store. Otherwise, a URL rewrite is created for the store view level.
In Request Path: you enter the new path for the product. Please add suffix with the new path if it has.
*Note: The Request Path must be unique for the specified store. If there is already a redirect that uses the same Request Path, there is an error when saving the redirect. The previous redirect must be deleted before you can create a new one.
In Redirect Type: You can choose No, Permanent (301), and Temporary (302).
- Permanent (301) means that product URL is rewritten permanently and search engines can retain page rank information for permanent rewrites.
- Temporary (302) means that the product URL is rewritten for a limited time and search engines don’t retain page rank information for temporary rewrites.
In Description: you can give some description of this URL Rewrite.
- Then, you save the configuration and see the URL Rewrite in the grid table.
How to Import URL Rewrites to Magento 2
With the above tutorial, it is easy for you to create product URL Rewrites for your store, right?
However, if you have hundreds or thousands of products that need rewriting, it is a considerable amount of work. Therefore, importing many product URL Rewrites is necessary to save time, human resources, and cost. It brings big benefits for users because all URL Rewrites are imported to websites via a CSV file only.
By installing Magento 2 Import URL Rewrites extension, you can prepare your product URL Rewrites in a CSV file and then import it to your site with only one click.
Creating Magento 2 product URL rewrite is easy as a piece of cake, isn’t it? Hopefully, the article has been able to help you generate URL rewrites more quickly than ever. Let’s explore more of our content to master the URL rewriting in Magento 2 now!
BSS Commerce is one of the leading Multi-platform eCommerce solutions and web development services providers in the world. With experienced and certified developers, we commit to bringing high-quality products and services to optimize your business effectively.
CONTACT NOW to let us know your problems. We are willing to support you every time.