Considered as the leading advanced digital platform for e-commerce innovation, Magento has countless loyal customers all around the world. They are ranging from individual shopkeepers to multinational corporations, such as Nikes, Coca-Cola, Samsung, Ford, Olympus, and many more.
When your search ends here, you must be wondering what Magento is and whether it is worth using, aren’t you? Then this post is definitely your must-read to get an overview of Magento history and its benefits, as well as Magento development trend now and in the future.
What Is Magento?
Magento platform is the most popular open-source platform built on Zend Framework and PHP programming languages.
Whatever your current position is, you can use Magento to develop an ecommerce store meeting all your customer requirements quickly. For example, you can build your online websites from scratch with available Magento free or premium versions. In case, you have already had one; you can also migrate it into Magento to make use of numerous out-of-box features to enhance your business and earn more. Without the doubt, such the flexible integration and customization make Magento the most powerful and widely-used ecommerce solution on the market.
An Overview of Magento History
Back to the birth of Magento in 2007, Roy Rubin, with his employees in Varien, was planning to develop a new branch of osCommerce, another open source system when they figured out lots of outdated features failing to fill the essential needs of ecommerce merchants.
As a result, the company officially launched the Beta version – the precursor of Magento 1. Soon, Magento 1 was developed into various editions including Magento Community in 2008 for the public, and Magento Enterprise, one year later, for the commercial goal. So far, both editions have been successful and widely used among web builders.
In July 2015, the release of Magento 2 marked a breakthrough in Magento history in particular and open sources for e-commerce in general. In compared with Magento 1, this updated system has included many advanced features accomplished by new development tools and structures. Since then, Magento 1 and Magento 2 have developed at the same time to provide users with more choices and benefits.
Here are several remarkable milestones in Magento history, from the software launched by the student to the dominator in the crowded ecommerce space which powers billions in sales.
Magento Development – The Current Trend of eCommerce
According to the statistics of Builtwith (continuously updated) on Magento Market Share, the trend of using Magento platform is considerably increasing. There are 457,964 currently using websites, and over 342,218 websites using this open source system previously. There is a tendency that customers from developed countries are likely to use Magento more often. The United States, Great Britain, and Australia rank in the top 3, making up for 47 %; 9%; and 7% respectively.
Magento platform covers required functions for online stores of all scales from small online shops to large marketplaces with various solutions. Based on your requirements and budget, you can choose one of the following products:
- Magento Open Source: This FREE eCommerce solution is ideal for small online merchants to establish ground-up stores. Website developers also find it flexible and user-friendly to exploit and to come up with advanced features.
- Magento Commerce: The premium edition is the all-in-one solution to improve website performance with rich enterprise experience, extensible functionalities by developers, the scale and secure infrastructure, and robust data capabilities.
- Magento Commerce Cloud: Magento Commerce is under the ownership of Adobe, which will open an era of eCommerce in modern cloud infrastructures. Online merchants have the opportunities to respond to the rapid pace of technology and differentiate customer experiences.
- Magento Order Management (OMS): In essence, there need be a bridge between your online and in-store technology creating the consistent and low-friction experience for customers. To do this task, Magento OMS is in use to employ off-the-shelf features such as distributed order management, Omnichannel Fulfillment, Global Inventory Management, and Customer Service.
- Magento Business Intelligence: In the ecommerce world, data plays an integral role in achieving a successful business. How to control it, bring it together, and make it accessible as well as easy to work with, however, is really hard. Magento Business Intelligence is the spontaneous solution using automated data sync to empower your database and organization management.
Outstanding Features of Magento
With million thousands of merchants on board, Magento proves itself as the most common self-hosted open source system. Both online merchants and developers value Magento due to its excessive and excellent features.
Save for later read: Do You Know All Wonderful Features in Magento 2?
Magento is absolutely a pleasant experience for those wanting to start their own business online or those searching for innovation for the outdated websites to attract more potential customers.
The recent acquisition of Magento Commerce to Adobe in May 2018 puts both Magento and eCommerce technology at the forefront of a tremendous opportunity. “Adobe is the only company with leadership in content creation, marketing, advertising, analytics and now commerce – enabling real-time experiences across the entire customer journey,” shared Brad Rencher, executive V.P and general manager, Digital Experience.
About the future of Magento Open Source, Adobe has actively claimed: “The point is: open source is in our DNA.” Hence, no need to worries, Adobe will continue supporting the open-source development and even make it better by integrating Magento Open Source technologies with its software to create an even better experience for both online merchants and shoppers.
Are you ready to start your business with Magento? If yes, you must have a look at “Everything You Need to Know about Magento.” to make out of this beautiful platform.
Also, in case you have already had your online store and wanted to improve its performance to get more sales, let’s hire us! BSSCommerce’s mission is to offer our customers the best successful solutions with Magento 1 and Magento 2 extensions. Our support team of certified developers is always willing to respond to any further inquiry.