Before the installation of Magento, it is critical to ensure that Magento 2 system requirements are met. Hence, you should read this article carefully to well prepare for running your stores smoothly and bug-freely. In general, there are three Magento 2 requirements you need to take into account: They are technology stack, support web browsers, and TLS – Transport Layer Security.
Now, it is time to discuss today’s highlight “Magento 2 system requirements.”
- Magento 2 hosting requirements
- Magento 2 hardware requirements
- Other Magento 2 requirements
3 Main Magento 2 System Requirements
#1. Technology stack Magento 2 hardware requirements
- Operating system: Linux x86-64.
*Note: From our experience, CentOs is the most user-friendly Linux distribution to install, configure, fix errors, or migrate. Other alternatives are Ubuntu, Redhat, Debian, etc.
- Memory requirement: at least 2GB of RAM recommended.
*Note in terms of Magento 2 hardware requirements: In case your current system is not large enough, please create a swap file Or else, you might sometimes encounter errors due to running out of the physical memory.
- Composer: the latest stable version is your preferred choice.
- Web servers: Be ready to Magento 2 Nginx as part of system requirement since Nginx has focused on high concurrency, high performance, yet low usage of memory. Apache 2.2 or 2.4 of Nginx 1.8 or the latest mainline version is the right for you.
- Database: MySQL 5.6 APIs
- PHP: PHP is the framework of Magento installation and configuration.
- enable PHP distributions.
- PHP settings: configure particular PHP settings, check here.
- SSL: a valid security certificate for HTTPS
- Mail server: Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) or an SMTP server
*Note: php_xdebug2.2.0 is optional but recommended since xdebug that can affect Magento installations or access to the storefront or Admin Panel post-installation.
- Magento 2 Php 7 Magento requirements in terms of system usually include: bc-math (Magento Commerce only), curl, gd, ImageMagick 6.3.7 (or later) or both, intl, mbstring, mcrypt, hash, openssl, PDO/MySQL, SimpleXML, soap, xml, xsl, zip.
- PHP OPcache: verify PHP OPcache to
*Note: There are several differences in PHP for Magento 2 system requirements according to version, as follow:
#2. Magento 2 requirements related to supported browsers
The second of Magento 2 system requirements, of course, not the least is browser support. Please keep in mind that different browsers render websites in different ways. And, online customers nowadays use all kinds of browsers. Hence, the more browsers your site becomes compatible with, the wider your reach is.
To make it easier for you to prepare Magento requirements for system, we gather all recommended browsers in the following table.
3. TLS – Transport Layer Security Requirements
DON’T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN >>> CHECK NOW Best Magento Security Patches and Best Practices.
TLS protocol is required to ensure the privacy and data integrity between two communicating applications.
- For repo.magento.com: Transport Layer Security (TLS) version 1.1 or later
- For PayPal: Transport Layer Security (TLS) version 1.2
Important notes: From June 2017, Paypal updated its services to require TLS version 1.2 for all HTTPS connections. If you do not want to be refused by this popular payment gateway provider, then pay your tight attention to this Magento 2 requirement.
Please read carefully to ensure that you do not miss any Magento 2 system requirements before installing this platform. Also, feel free to leave comments about what you want us to go deeper inside any requirements, say, Magento 2 requirements of servers, Magento 2 hosting requirements, how to install Magento 2 composer or Magento 2 command line, etc.
At BSS Commerce, we are willing to help you to improve Magento security with well-coded solutions.
We are one of the leading Magento extension providers and web development services in the world. With experienced and certified Magento developers, we commit to bring high-quality products and services to optimize our business effectively. Let us know about your problems. We are willing to support you every time.
I'm Greene from BSS Commerce. I love researching and sharing you with useful information about Magento, Ecommerce, and Marketing, etc. Hope you enjoy!
can you suggest hosting companies for Magento 2?
Without doubt, hosting is a critical decision for Magento merchants, which involves various key considerations around security performance, scalability, database, and many more to provide the best consumer experience.
However, it is hard to exactly recommend you one name since choosing hosting company depends on many factors: your requirements, budgets, location, etc. Soon, we will publish a detail post about on this topic. Then, we will update you right away. Don’t miss it!