Because of diversified preferences of languages and currencies from customers, it’s essential that you can make your site available in various languages and currencies to support customers’ shopping experience.
This tutorial will guide you on how to set up Magento 2 multi languages and multi-currencies quickly to help you improve site performance for global purchasers.
SAVE our Magento multi language SEO post IMMEDIATELY to understand what you need for your multi-language website.
Set Up Multiple Languages in Magento 2
Step 1. Download and install Magento language packs
For example, I download a French language pack and install it for my store.
Step 2. Create a Store View
After installing the French language pack, you have to create a store view (French store view) by navigating to Stores ⟹ Settings ⟹ All Stores, click Create Store View button, then fill in the required fields:
Finally, click the Save Store View button.
Step 3. Change Locale option of Store View
You go to Stores ⟹ Configuration and choose the French store view, which has just been added in step 2.
Next, select the General to set up related fields to the store view.
- In Country Options, change to France correspondingly.
- In Locale Options, set locale as French to specify which language store will use. This one will be based on the language pack we are about to install.
Then, click the Save Config button.
To check the results, you go to the frontend and navigate to the French store view. All are displayed in French for high local performance.
Set Up Multiple Currencies in Magento 2
You are running multiple store views store for various markets (corresponding to countries or regions), it is better to allow local customers to see product prices under their currencies. This forces you to set up multi-currencies for your Magento 2 store, enabling buyers to go shopping more conveniently.
Step 1. Set up currencies
Please navigate to Stores ⟹ Settings ⟹ Configuration ⟹ General ⟹ Currency Setup. You choose the Default Config in the Current Configuration Scope section. Then fill in the required fields and click the Save Configuration button.
The base currency is the one that is used for transactions throughout the whole website.
Display currency is the one that is used to show product prices on each store view. How the price of a product is displayed now depends on currency rates between the base currency and display currency.
Allowed currency: you can select as many currency currencies as you want.
⟹ To read more about the relationship between the base currency and display currency, please refer to this blog.
* Note: Even customers see product prices under the display currency of a store view, then they still make a transaction with the base currency of the whole website. The reason is the display currency has the scope as Store view, which is not valid for checking out.
Hence, if you want to allow customers to checkout with the display currency of each store view, this extension is an ideal solution for your website: Magento 2 Checkout with Display Currency. Customers can use their display currencies of store view, which they see on the frontend to check out conveniently.
Step 2. Set up currency exchange rates
You go to Stores ⟹ Currency ⟹ Currency Rates to specify currency rates. You can use import service to change currency rates, then click Save Currency Rates button.
Besides, adding manually is another way you could try if there are not many currency rates.
To get a detailed tutorial on how to manage currency rates in Magento 2, please visit here.
To adapt the need of checking out with different currencies of foreign customers, we would like to suggest Multiple Store View Pricing for Magento 2 by BSS Commerce.
It supports admin to set up and show different prices and special prices for products in each store. Moreover, it can allow setting up base currency for store view so that customers can then quickly check out with the store view currency.
PAY A LOOK at other Magento 2 extensions to seek the best solution for your Magento store!
Must-have Extensions to Support Magento 2 Multi Language & Multi Currencies
Congratulations! You have mastered the basic settings for Magento 2 multi language and multi currencies already. It would be flawed if the article didn’t suggest some outstanding modules to assist you in optimizing these functions.
Let’s take a look at the best extensions we’ve collected below!
1. Magento 2 Multiple Store View Pricing by BSS Commerce
Exactly! It’s one of the solutions that we have mentioned above. You must be wondering about how your store can benefit from Multi Store View Pricing, right?
Put simply, this extension supports you to set different prices for the same type of product & base currency, as well as display them flexibly on each store view.
- Establish a special price & tier price for a product per store view;
- Allow admin users to set up a separate base currency in the store view scope;
- Facilitate customers to checkout with the base currency of their store view;
- Combine well with product types including simple products, configurable products, grouped products, virtual products, and downloadable products;
- Enable minimum order amount on each store view;
- Customize shipping cost for store view level.
GAIN INSIGHT INTO Magento 2 Multiple Store View Pricing to optimize your Magento 2 tier price strategies!
2. Checkout with Display Currency for Magento 2 by BSS Commerce
Our second-best candidate for perfecting your multi-currency plan is Magento 2 Checkout with Display Currency. Using this module, you will clearly feel the dramatic increase in customer satisfaction by allowing them to checkout with the currency displayed on their store view.
This outplays all limitations of the default Magento that will show the base price when customers go to checkout. Thanks to that change, your store significantly affects the experience of a segment of international customers.
- Checkout quickly with store view display currency;
- Be compatible with all payment methods;
- Present store view display currency in Sale documents and transaction emails.
GRAB Magento 2 Checkout with Display Currency NOW to bring the highest satisfaction for your customers.
3. Auto Switch Language & Currency by Knowband
Right from its name has implied the main purpose of this extension. Auto Switch Language & Currency will assist in converting languages and currencies based on visitors’ geographical location. Thus, international customers can navigate your site easily and conveniently.
- Easy to install and configure;
- Switch the default language and currency of the store automatically;
- Implement without code changes;
- Present multi-language & multi-currency for different countries;
- Fully compatible with all the themes.
4. GeoIP Default Language Currency Switcher by FMEextensions
Similar to the extension above, this FME product also helps auto-detect customers’ geographical areas to display language and currency appropriately.
- Auto-switch currency & language;
- Identify user locations quickly;
- Import Geo Location Database;
- Prompt Box in Footer;
- IP Exceptions.
To sum up, we have shared with you ways to configure Magento 2 multi language and multi-currency as well as some useful extension supporting your campaigns. Hopefully, you can pick for yourself a suitable one to serve the diverse demands of your international customers.