With small businesses and startups, you are satisfied with doing business through free plan ecommerce solutions that have little choices and customize options.
But as your business grows, you would likely be thinking about investing in an ‘enterprise-level’ ecommerce platform for your website. Shopify Plus or Magento 2 Commerce will be the two choices that businesses often weigh against each other.
This blog will help you assess two platforms on their strengths and weaknesses in several areas, then evaluate to see which platform works best for your business.
Magento 2 Open Source vs Magento 2 Commerce
Magento 2 Open Source was known as Magento Community before, it is a free download version of Magento which can be downloaded, customized, and self-hosted. Aside from what’s provided on Magento Default, there is also a marketplace of modules, in which customers can implement in their system to make it highly customizable.
Magento 2 Commerce comes in two versions, Magento 2 Enterprise, and Magento 2 Commerce Cloud. Magento 2 Commerce price range started at around 22K/ year, but the features and functionalities it provides are much more than the Open Source version.
The exclusive Magento 2 Commerce features are:
- Improved marketing abilities which include displaying specific content to customers based on their address, gender, order history, etc; target customers depending on which products they’ve viewed or add to cart; automate emails and create time-limited sales.
- The admin functionalities also is an upgrade from the open-source version; customers have now added the ability to control their site’s page hierarchy, which would enable admin to organize content pages, add pagination and menus. Content staging also allows users to create, preview, and update contents by admin; and the Action Log function helps them check the activities by the administrator.
- Other enhancements feature includes customer and order management, analytics and reports; B2B functionality like fast checkout, requisition list, or detailed reports to analyze sales, customer, and product data; as well as the support for Magento 2 Commerce platform 24/7.
If you are interested in reading more about Magento 2 Open Source vs Magento 2 Enterprise Edition, then:
LEARN MORE about Magento 2 Community Edition and Magento 2 Commerce comparison
Shopify vs Shopify Plus
The same as for Magento, Shopify Plus is the paid version of Shopify, which comes with much more features and integrations, and dedicated support activities.
There are a few main highlight differences between the two:
- Shopify has supported through phone, live chat, and email. But when moving to Shopify Plus, there will be a manager engineer who personally walks you through the steps needed to set up, customize, and migrate your web store. This person will stay there to help you with any problems you might encounter related to the platform.
- Shopify Plus allows you to have greater control over the codes of your themes as you can access the Liquid theme language and edit your themes to your liking.
- Shopify Plus also allows unlimited staff accounts, which is suitable for you to assign staff accounts to your team, and that’s why the option would be the best fit for enterprises.
- The checkout configuration of Shopify Plus is also much more customizable from cart values or other conditions. Customers using Shopify Plus get to work with the Script Editor. which gives you control over shipping methods, customer fields, and payment options.
- Integration APIs and existing platforms also are enhanced and expanded, not to mention that Shopify Plus users get to work with exclusive resources that are not available for Shopify.
You can also find out more about our application made for Shopify user by:
CLICK HERE for Apps for Shopify Users
Overview of Magento Commerce & Shopify Plus
Magento has shown themselves as the leading provider of ecommerce platforms, with their larger average retail size and their presence in the ecommerce market. Magento is also on the top IR1000 merchants, which is an impressive result. Many brands that are using Magento currently turn over a number of over $1 billion online.
With the acquisition recently Adobe made of Magento, users can expect more advantages in designs on future versions of both Magento 2 Open Source and Magento 2 Commerce.
Shopify Plus mid-market and market shares enterprise is growing rapidly, and their customers include Staples Canada, JB Hifi, Decathlon US, Missoma, Protein World, APC, Color Pop, as well as other brands like Fashion Nova and Kylie Cosmetics are all cited as stores turning over more than $ 1 billion per year online.
Both ecommerce platforms have their standout features that focus on different and same players in the field. Therefore an article about Magento Enterprise vs Shopify Plus will be the advice for you, business owners, to make a decision at ‘enterprise-level’. Depending on your company characteristics, and your company’s needs, Magento 2 Enterprise or Shopify Plus can be the best suitable choice for you.
The table below listed an overview of the differences between Magento 2 Commerce and Shopify Plus.
CHECK OUT Magento vs Shopify For a general comparison between Magento and Shopify.
Cost and Pricing Plans
A business consultant to apparel companies, Kathryn Valentine has said: “Shopify is the Honda; Magento is the Ferrari.”
Just like some people can afford a Honda, and others want to have a Ferrari, Magento 2 Commerce, and Shopify Plus also aim to enterprise with different growth rates.
For firms with their business growth under $25M, even $50M will see that Magento built and maintenance costs are too expensive for their budget, and Shopify Plus is a more suitable option. Enterprises with higher growth rates, however, would prefer Magento because of its advanced customizations.
- License Fees: Shopify Plus costs a flat $2,000/month, and adds 25% of the average revenue after the company reached $800K in revenue.
- Transaction Fees: For Shopify Payment, the main payment method of Shopify, you will be required to pay 2.15% + $0.30 for each transaction on domestic Visa and Mastercard. If you use a third-party payment provider, you will have to pay 0.15% transaction fees on top.
- Hosting Costs: Shopify Plus doesn’t require hosting costs, as it has been already covered in the license fees. The license fees package also includes security, upgrades, maintenance, security and SSL certificates, PCI compliance, and technical support.
- Migration and Build cost: In principle, your costs for building a website on Shopify Plus is zero to $180 if you use built-in Shopify themes. However, if you demand customization features in your store, the costs can vary from $30,000 to $250,000.
Magento 2 Enterprise
Magento 2 Commerce prices are also divided into License Fees, Transaction Fees, Hosting, Migration, Build, and Maintenance costs.
- License Fees: While Shopify requires license fees monthly, Magento has an annual license fee system based on the size and gross revenue of the company. Licensing Fees started at around $22,000 / year.
- Transaction Fees: Magento gives the retailer total ownership of their operations, which means there are no transaction fees except the ones from processors of your choice. With Magento, you also have the choice of setting your own payment gateways.
- Hosting: You can host Magento on any server you want. You can choose a third-party hosting for $1000/ month, or using Magento 2 Commerce Cloud Hosting for the price of $3,333 per month for both hosting and platform fees combined.
- Migration, Build, and Maintenance: Magento 2 Enterprise Edition building costs vary starting from $100,000. You will need to pay developers for patches, upgrades, module installations, and other maintenance needs.
If you wish to have a detailed roadmap on costs needed to build a website on Magento 2 Enterprise, then:
DON’T MISS THIS Be prepared with Magento 2 costs to build a website……
User-friendliness and Support
Shopify Plus is a fully-hosted website, which means your site is run from someone’s server, and that server is managing the layout on your website.
This give’s Shopify a big plus on being user-friendly, because it provides you with the web interface without having to deal with endless lines of code. This will lessen your worry about your updates and maintenance for your website because the external server will do it for you.
But the downside of this convenience is limitations on your customizations, as you can’t access the source code to increase flexibility to your website.
Magento 2 Commerce, on the other hand, used for experienced developers with experiences, which means users must have a few years of developmental coding to be able to master the platform.
Aside from the features that Magento Commerce got out of the box, users can customize it to fit with their specific needs. The trade-off of this is your business will have to have a team of developers dedicated to building additional features for Magento.
We’ll present to you the features that stark the strong points of Magento Enterprise vs Shopify Plus. Because some of the features have been covered in the section above, so you can go back up to see more details about these features.
On Shopify Plus, you will get to use:
- Shopify Plus account managers (Magento also offers support, but you have to have experts on your team already to deal with the platform complexity.)
- a multi-store dashboard (this dashboard does give you control over some stores, but unlike Magento, there is limited access to your stores’ structure.
- Shopify Flow (Shopify website visual builder, which could be compared to Magento Page Builder.)
- Shopify Launchpad – automate sales campaign & product launch
- Multiple customers data import tools
For Magento, they provide these features to their users:
- Multiple brands and vendors (Shopify Plus is limited, you can only create 10 clone stores)
- Stores in different countries(Shopify Plus doesn’t support multi-language, currency stores, and global shipping systems.)
- Promotions and discounts using a promotion built-in program
- Magento Page Builder which serves as a website builder that gets design enhancements from Adobe.
- More variants in product types (Magento supports 7 core product types while Shopify supports 2)
Put all features in perspective, Magento is clearly the winner for its diversity in features, and the advances Magento 2 Commerce options are. If you want to reach your customers in many countries and use multiple languages in your store, then Magento would be a clear choice for your business.
What if you want all the Magento 2 Commerce features, but don’t have enough budget to invest in the Magento 2 Enterprise version?
INSTALL NOW Magento 2 Commerce extensions that do your website magics
Magento 2 vs Shopify Plus battle in SEO is also similar to comparison in other aspects of the two platforms.
Shopify Plus is very limited in terms of SEO, it relies on its built-in tools and extensions. Don’t get me wrong, the platform SEO is powerful on its own, with functions like custom page URLs, meta descriptions, image alt tags, and more. However, Shopify Plus doesn’t allow ‘deeper’ SEO techniques, which leads to users having a hard time finding ways to increase organic traffic volume. And due to its locked-down nature, Shopify made it impossible to
Magento has its downside as users have to work to prevent some issues, and is not as strong as Shopify when it comes to technical SEO platforms out of the box. But the platform provides more flexibility as the source is open, and it has features that are suitable for current engine trends like creating rich snippets, manually organized markup data, and fine-tuning a website robot.txt file. The feature is possible in Magento due to the depth that you can access in your website structure.
Want to make more out of your Magento investment and improving your SEO techniques?
READ HERE for Your Ultimate Magento 2 SEO guide…..
Multiple store management is the key selling point of Magento 2 Commerce to Shopify Plus. The platform allows users who wish to manage their product catalogs across brands, regional stores, and B2B/ B2C stores within a common interface. Magento allows you to set product attributes from scope global to the local level, and define the price differently at the website level.
This unique point of Magento 2 Enterprise was used by many large and multinational brands, as I have come across companies that manage the large product catalog in different regions. The brands that are using Magento Enterprise to manage their stores are Ford Accessories, Ahmad Tea, Nestle, Rubie’s, and more.
While Shopify Plus does allow multiple store management ( up to 10 clone stores with the Plus license), it is absent the store architecture, which is the reason many retailers hesitate when it comes to using Shopify Plus.
CHECK NOW for Magento 2 Hierarchy FREE COMPLETE GUIDE
After the comparison of Magento 2 vs Shopify Plus in certain aspects, we can draw the following conclusions: Magento is robust in features, full of flexibilities in SEO and Multiple-store Management, but the platform is complex to use, and unless you have experienced developers in your hands, you should not jump head first in Magento Enterprise version. The cost for the license, hosting, and the building is also quite expensive for small scale businesses, so if your company doesn’t have enough budget, we suggest using the Magento Open Source version instead.
The platform is a fit choice for enterprises that are looking to build a portfolio in a large, international scale, and has revenue of over $5 million / year already. This will afford them to pay for the costs and hire necessary professionals to maintain their sites.
Shopify Plus is a more suitable choice for growing firms and less complex, without the needs of advanced developmental configs, but which also means store owners will never be 100% in charge of every single aspect of their website.
BSS Commerce is one of the leading Magento extension providers and web development services in the world. Our experienced and certified Magento developers commit to bringing high-quality products and services to optimize your business effectively. CONTACT NOW about the questions and problems you need help with. We are willing to support you every time.